This afternoon I read a really interesting case study from the University of Tennessee on how they transformed their business reporting and compliance through consolidating their data onto SQL2016 & PowerBI.
It’s worth reading the entire article (about 5mins) as the University has five campuses and two institutes which previously had individual reporting and analytics tools. To resolve this, a three pointed focus was created around:
- Consolidated repository
- Report verification process
- Data access and stewardship process
As the University was already using Office365, the decision to use PowerBI and SQL2016 as the backbone of their new BI solution made a lot of sense. Some impressive gains were made from this digital transformation project:
- Data verification time decreased from 45minutes to 10 seconds (a 99% reduction)
- This allowed the organisation to do multiple validations a day, rather than waiting until the close of business to perform a single audit.
- The University is a USD$1.2 billion dollar enterprise and yet despite their size they are able to support their BI with a team of just six staff.
For larger HigherEd / Tertiary institutions the above is likely a compelling story in data transformation and reporting.